top of page

Kirkwood Property Management knows you have a million things to worry about when your loved one is off at college, but their living environment shouldn't be one of them! We appreciate the parents of our residents and want to make sure that you are kept up to date and in the know.

Does a joint and several lease mean I am responsible for all the rent if my roommate stops paying?

A joint lease indicates that all roommates are ultimately responsible for the total lease value. We will attempt to collect rental portions from the specific roommates initially. If one or more residents were to default on rent, then we will explore collecting from all remaining residents. Should there be open bedrooms in the apartment it is the resident’s responsibility to find additional roommates pursuant to the West Lafayette Code on maximum rental occupancy.

Is a Lease Guarantee Agreement required?

All residents require a guarantor to complete the Guarantee Agreement form and have it notarized (Kirkwood does offer a Notary if needed). A resident can act as their own guarantor if they can show documentation as outlined in the lease agreement that they have income greater than three times the rental installment. LINK TO GUARANTEE AGREEMENT FORM

What if I decide to transfer to a different school?

You will remain responsible for the full term of the lease; however subleasing is allowed. Contact the main office or see our section regarding subleasing on this page.

What is the sublease policy? Does this release me from my obligation?

If you are unable to fulfill your lease term, there are no cancelation policies; however, you do have the option to find a subtenant for any portion of your lease term. A sublease is a person you will find to take over some portion of the lease. Please contact the office for any fees associated with subleasing. Once you find your sublease candidate, you and your sublease will have to complete all necessary paperwork. If your sublease would create a coed living situation, all tenants on the lease would have to consent to the proposed sublease. You will still be responsible for the apartment under the terms and conditions of the sublease so you will want to check periodically and make sure all payments are being made. For further explanation, call our main office at (812) 822-0079.

Why do I have to pay all rent in August when I don’t move in until mid-August?

The payment that is due in August will prorated in the last month of your lease agreement. Please remember that the lease term is based on the number of days from start to finish of the lease, the total dollar value is paid out over a full twelve (12) month period; therefore the rent amount is divided into 12 equal installments.


Can you find a roommate for me?

We can assist you in finding additional roommates. Ultimately the responsibility and decision to accept or reject any roommate remains with you and any other current tenants on the lease since it is a join lease agreement.

Can I bring my own furniture?

You may bring whatever furniture you wish; however, at some communities, we provide furniture. If you choose not to use the furniture provided, it will be the responsibility of the resident to contact the office and make arrangements to have it removed and stored throughout the time of your lease at your expense.


Do you have maintenance service?

Kirkwood Property Management is dedicated to exemplary customer service.  We have our own maintenance staff along with several professional subcontractors. A 24-hour emergency maintenance service is provided by calling (812) 361-1444. Our goal is to respond to any general service request within a 24-48 hour window. Non-emergency requests for maintenance can be submitted via our website, email, phone, or in person.

What do we consider to be an emergency maintenance call?

At Kirkwood Property Management, we do offer a 24-hour emergency maintenance service. An emergency for our service would be, “My toilet is clogged and I only have 1.” Or “I think my pipes are frozen.” Or "I have water dripping from my ceiling." These are just a few examples but for these types, please call our emergency maintenance service. If you see smoke, fire, etc. Please DO NOT call us first, call 911. After you have contacted them, please call our emergency maintenance service so that we are informed of the situation.

Will I be charged for maintenance repairs?

You will not be charged for maintenance repairs that are a result of normal wear and tear. Charges will only be assessed for repairs due to an accident or negligence on your part, another tenant, or a guest in your apartment. You may be held responsible for the actions of a guest whom you invite onto the property, so choose wisely!

Can I have a satellite dish?

At this time we do not allow satellite dishes.

bottom of page